Crononavirus Update – COVID 19 – Update 04th May
Like you we have and are continuously monitoring the situation at our locations in France, Spain & partner locations in Italy concerning your up coming holidays. Some campsites have delayed their initial opening dates. Currently the directive remains in place from the DFA against all essential travel from Ireland. We continue to listen and be guided by the advice of the Health Authorities and our government.
Customers Due to Travel Up to the 30th May
We have decided to delay the opening of all our locations for travel up to and including 30th May and some campsites have delayed their opening beyond this point. Should you be affected with this decision then we will contact you to discuss your options which would be
- Change your holiday to a later date in the summer so you can begin to look forward to this
- Move your holiday to 2021 and we will guarantee the price provided it is for the same dates, same duration and campsite (excludes travel element).
- If you are unsure then we will offer you a Credit Note to the value that you have paid us. If this credit note is unused by 31 March 2021, it may be redeemed for cash or used for 2022 holiday.
Customers Due to Travel Up to 30th June
We fully understand as both a family ourselves and a company that you may have genuine concerns about holidaying so soon.
If you are scheduled to depart on holiday before the 30th June then if you so wish you can move your holiday forward to 2021 and we will honour your 2020 price – it must be for the same duration, dates accommodation type and campsite. For example in 2020 you are due in Playa Montroig from the 7th to 14th June then 2021 would be 06th to 13th June.
Change your Booking Now
For July & August bookings, please bear with us – we will advise if there are any changes to your bookings – Balance due date is not until 6 weeks prior to departure.
At present we have a very reduced team who are all working remotely as we ensure their safety in the workplace. We ask that you email us with your questions, if at all possible as our phone lines maybe very busy and you may experience long delays.
We thank you for understanding and we wish you all well.
KelAir Campotel Team
Updated: 19th March 2020 13:00
We are carefully following the developments associated with Covid 19, as the health and safety of our customers is our priority. We understand our customers will be concerned, but please be assured we are doing everything in our power to help you.
The following campsites have postponed their opening to the 1st of May: Domaine Des Ormes, Le Littoral and Playa Montroig. If you have a holiday booked in one of these sites for before this date our reservations team will contact you.
We advise all our customers to follow the situation and stay up to date with the latest travel advice here: https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/
We are aware of the increased controls and restrictions introduced in France and Spain over the last few days. We know some of these measures will have a significant impact on our customers’ holidays, so we are currently assessing the situation. If we decide holidays need to be cancelled, we will contact affected customers in the next week, with priority given to the earliest departure dates.
Understandably, we’re currently receiving high volumes of calls and messages. Please be patient with us and we will get back to all messages as soon as possible.
During this time, we understand flexibility is more important than ever. That’s why we’re adjusting the balance due date for all 2020 holidays.
Full payment will now be required 4 weeks before your departure date if you are travelling in May or June and 6 weeks before if you are traveling in July and August, instead of the normal 8 weeks.
Thank you for your patience, we understand you may have some questions about your situation. Please see our answers to some common questions below. Our office is still open and contactable by phone (090) 964 8750 or email Campotel@kellertravel.ie.
Can I amend my reservation/stay?
It is possible to amend your stay to a later date in 2020. However, please note you will be liable for any increase in costs.
I’m travelling soon, how do i know if it is safe?
We advise to read the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) travel advice for the country you are travelling to, which includes entry requirements and a link through to the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) TravelHealthPro website. This website provides specific travel health advice for our destination countries.
I have booked Accommodation/Ferry travel. What coverage do I have?
In the event that travel advice changes, if you’ve booked a package holiday with us, then you are protected under the Package Travel Regulations. As a result, where we have availability, we can offer alternative suitable holidays.
I do not want to travel anymore, Can I cancel my reservation/stay?
If the DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) advice allows you to still travel to the area, but you still wish to cancel your booking, you will be bound to our full cancellation Terms and Conditions, which can be found on our website or the back of our brochure. Cancellation fees will be applied, in line with these terms.
Cancellation more then 42 day prior to departure loss of deposit €300, Cancellation 31-42 days prior to departure 60% of total, 0-30 days 100% of total.